Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Suggested Listening — Week of May 18th

So this is something new I'm gonna try, I hope I can make this work, 'cause I've been wanting to do something like this for a while.
So let me give you the general idea of Suggested Listening: like a suggested reading part of an article, every week I'm going to suggest a few albums or EPs (categorized by genres, which may get more specific, we'll see how it goes) that I've been listening to a lot lately, or (since I go through cycles of what I listen to) that I just really like. If I've already reviewed an album, I'll link it; if not, I may or may not get to it. Anyway, let's get to this week's picks.


Pop-Punk Pick:
Bayside: Cult
[2015, Hopeless]
White [Deluxe] Edition Cover
So Bayside had a new album last year. It was really good. I didn't care for it much at first, but I just listened to it again last week, on an impulse, and it's way better than I remember it. "Stuttering" is probably my favorite song.








Indie Pick:
Piebald: All Ears, All Eyes, All the Time
[2004, SideOneDummy]
I've had this CD in my collection for a while, but it wasn't until like last week when Spotify's Discover Weekly playlist put the song "Long Nights" from their preceding album that I finally listened to it in full. I bought the album because "The Jealous Guy Blues" was on the 2004 Warped Tour compilation. Man, was I missing out. Plus, they're from Andover, Mass!




Alternative Pick:
Anberlin: Never Take Friendship Personal
[2005, Tooth & Nail]
I actually haven't listened to Anberlin in a while, but I put them back on my iPod last time I synced it and I'll probably fall back into them soon enough. NTFP is usually tied with New Surrender as my favorite Anberlin album; I can never really decide between them. NTFP is an amazing album, and is definitely worth a listen.





Post-Hardcore or Hardcore Pick:
Silverstein: I Am Alive in Everything I Touch
[2015, Rise]
Also last year, Silverstein released a new album, and while I had somewhat mixed feelings about it at first, it's become one of my favorite Silverstein albums. "Toronto [Unabridged]" is easily my favorite song on IAAiEIT, and it's the only song (that I can remember) that Silverstein recorded acoustic for an LP.





Emo Pick:
Brand New: Déjà Entendu
[2003, Razor & Tie/Triple Crown]
I'm sorry but The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me is not the best Brand New album. Déjà Entendu is. This collection of eleven songs is one of the best albums ever recorded, and one of the best emo albums of all-time. Devil and God pales in comparison, not to mention it barely sounds like Brand New, barring "The Archers Bows Have Broken"Déjà Entendu has classics like "Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades" and "The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows", not to mention more. If you haven't heard it, listen to it.



That's it for this week, I'm gonna do these on Wednesdays, every week I remember. See you Friday with another EP review!

No comments:

Post a Comment