Friday, March 18, 2016

Saves the Day: Bug Sessions, Volume One [2006] — EP Review

Chris Conley: Vocals, Guitar
Vocal Era: Sound the Alarm
Dave Soloway: Guitar
Manuel Carrero: Bass
Pete Parada: Drums

Tracklist:
1. Certain Tragedy – 2:42
2. In My Waking Life – 2:45
3. Freakish – 4:06
4. You Vandal – 2:21
5. Sell My Old Clothes, I'm Off to Heaven – 3:23
6. My Sweet Fracture – 4:04
7. Jodie – 4:06
Total Runtime: 23:22

Okay, so this is an acoustic compilation released on tour after Sound the Alarm. I'm not going to go into detail about the lyrics and instrumentalism since I've already gone over it in my previous reviews.
Bug Sessions, Volume 1 is the first in a trilogy (strange, a trilogy during another trilogy) of acoustic EPs released on tour from 2006 to 2008. This is the only one which includes the full band and which was recorded in studio (that being the Electric Ladybug, at Conley's house). It's also probably the… worst. I don't know, the Sound the Alarm voice just doesn't go with many of the songs on this record.
I never thought I'd say that the Sound the Alarm voice would sound alright with a Stay What You Are song, but "Certain Tragedy" was probably the best choice. The guitars sound great acoustic. But it doesn't work with latter-half In Reverie songs like "In My Waking Life". Surprising to say, it works okay on "Freakish". This just sounds awesome with acoustic instruments.
Through Being Cool fans are gonna kill me for the rating I'm giving "You Vandal". But the panicky voice works well here. "Sell My Old Clothes" is probably the best sounding non-Sound the Alarm song to sing with the StA voice, and Soloway kicks ass on that acoustic. And the weirdo-"Can't Slow Down is Saves the Day's only good album" people already hate me but this is me signing my own death warrant. "Jodie" actually sounds pretty good.
It's decent, but unless you're a hardcore Saves the Day fan like I am, don't go trying to track a physical copy down; they're pretty damn hard to come by (I got lucky and found them on eBay all together.).

Certain Tragedy: 6/10
In My Waking Life: 4/10
Freakish: 6/10
You Vandal: 6/10
Sell My Old Clothes, I'm Off to Heaven: 7/10
My Sweet Fracture: 5/10
Jodie: 6/10

Subtotal: 40/70
Bonus Points:
N/A
Total: 40/70
Score: 5.7 Painfully Average

Genres: Acoustic, Emo, Pop-Punk

Last EP Review: Summer's Kiss EP by Dashboard Confessional
Next EP Review: The Weight That You Buried by Knuckle Puck
Next Saves the Day Review: Under the Boards

No comments:

Post a Comment