Friday, October 30, 2015

Saves the Day: I'm Sorry I'm Leaving [1999] — EP Review

Chris Conley: Guitar, Vocals
Vocal Era: Through Being Cool
Dave Soloway: Guitar
Eben D’Amico: Bass
Ted Alexander: Guitar
Bryan Newman: Drums


Tracklist:
1. I'm Sorry I'm Leaving – 2:48
2. Hold – 2:23
3. Jessie & My Whetstone – 2:06
4. Take Our Cars Now! – 2:37
5. I Melt With You – 2:57
7" B-Side:
3. The Way His Collar Falls – 2:46
Total Runtime: 12:51/7:57

I'm Sorry I'm Leaving is the second release by Saves the Day, and their first EP. Released in early 1999, ISIL is an acoustic EP inspired by the song "Three Miles Down" from their debut Can't Slow Down, suggested by a fan and Equal Vision employee.
ISIL starts out with the song which gives its title, which is pretty damn good. "Hold" is a mainstay among most StD fans. That's 'cause it's a perfect song. Once you've heard it, you'll never get "Oh well, you've got me under your spell/And I don't think that I'm kiddin' around, don't think I can forget you now" out of your head. "Take Our Cars Now!" is a great tune. It really makes me want to go on a road trip. "I Melt with You" is StD covering a Modern English song that everyone else has covered. But they did it best. Bowling for Soup might give them a run for the money, but I think StD'd come out on top.
Released only on the B-side of the ISIL 7", which is hard to come by, "The Way His Collar Falls" is a song about Conley's good friend Lief. But the lyrics are a little… creepy. i.e. "Have you seen his ankles lately?/I know he's next to me./I feel his sweater here,/but when I'm sleeping it's only green sheets and the hair down my legs.". Yeah, it's kinda weird, but it's still a catchy, fun tune.


I'm Sorry I'm Leaving: 8/10
Hold: 10/10
Jessie & My Whetstone: 9/10
Take Our Cars Now!: 9/10
Melt With You: 8/10
The Way His Collar Falls: 7/10


Subtotal: 44/50 25/30
Bonus Points:
N/A
Total: 44/50 25/30
Score: 8.8 Excellent (8.3 Excellent)

Next EP Review: A Writer's Reference by Halifax
Next Saves the Day Review: Through Being Cool

No comments:

Post a Comment